Sunday, February 19, 2012

12- tone it is!

I am to write a piece for the Ora Ensemble, a chamber music group consisting of piano, cello, flute, and sometimes, violin. It's going to be great; at least, that's the plan. This is a somewhat larger piece to tackle than any of the three that I recently completed for piano, and I've been wrestling with just how I'm going to create cohesion in a larger work. It's not that much larger (maybe 5-6 minutes), but it's enough that I can't get away with having simply one or two clever ideas. I'll have to have at least....three.

Writing any piece of, well, anything requires answering a few very important questions early on. Fortunately for me, some of the tough ones are out of the way. Which Ensemble? Check. How long? Check. Form? Che....wait...Harmonic Language? Hmm...OK, so I have some decisions to make. 

I've been reading a lot of this book lately:
http://www.amazon.com/Techniques-Contemporary-Composer-David-Cope/dp/0028647378/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1329703716&sr=8-1

It's really fascinating, especially in how plainly it deliberates on such a wide range of topics, from planing to pointillism. I've found the chapter dealing with the 12-tone method and serialism to be quite thought provoking. Here's a really great quote from the text:
It should be evident that any work using 12-tone processes will be as musical as the composer who creates it. In no way should the use of this technique serve as a crutch. 
Reading this now, it seems self-evident. However, I've found that I often tend to think of 12-tone music as process-only, and that anyone could write a good 12-tone piece. I've since mended my ways, because if my brief experience as a composer has taught me anything, it's that  process alone simply cannot create effective music.

A short while ago, I thought I had come across the Nirvana of process-music in that of Ligeti, because, in my naivety, I gave a cursory glance at one of his etudes and deemed it "understood,." I then proceeded to write what I thought would be effective music based the very superficial assumptions I had made about that etude. What an error! Thankfully, there's no such thing as time wasted when it comes to writing music, because, even if it sucks, it's a great learning experience. Just to save face, I now recognize that Ligeti's music is anything but process driven, and that has dramatically increased both my appreciation and and enjoyment of it.

I read so many interesting ideas in that chapter, that it would take too long to go into detail about it. Suffice to say, I have chosen to write this piece for the Ora Ensemble in this language, because I believe it represents an important part of the contemporary musical landscape. To add further specificity to this decision, I am going to write a piece that emphasizes its lack of tonality, as opposed to, say, Dallapiccola or Berg, whose music can often sound strikingly tonal in spite of their method.

I had something I wanted to write regarding logic and effective communication, but I'll have to think about it some more. It's time to go and make some decisions...

No comments:

Post a Comment