Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Reflections on Composition

As this is the first official post in this blog, I feel that it's appropriate that I touch on a few things. I am doing this for a couple of reasons. First, I have not been nearly as active as I intended, and second, because I have a lot to talk about!

First off, I'm glad with how the composition class is going, especially now that everyone is far more willing to speak their mind with respect to their own work and others. I don't know about my colleagues, but really invite criticism of any kind. I won't necessarily take it to heart, but I believe that, as an aspiring composer, it is important to be aware of how my music affects not just those who like the same things that I do, but also those whose personal tastes don't overlap with my own.

 A big problem or me is development, or, rather, being able to fully realize a specific idea - to expand it into something more than a two or three bar catchy motif. I had been experimenting recently with creating rules to help guide my composition, as if I could somehow eliminate my own lack of imagination from the equation. I actually wrote what I consider to be a pretty effective piece based on fairly strict compositional limitations (only pitch classes used throughout the duration of the piece). However, when it comes to harmony, I feel like, without the strict guidance of an already saturated tonal universe, it is difficult to find harmonic unity. I quickly realized that, even with stringent rules in place, and some rhythmic creativity, I could only go so far. Ultimately, I had to face the fact that, if I am to write music, I am going to have to be creative, as scary as that sounds.

With this in mind, I'd like to share some brief thoughts based on a talk I had with our recent Newfound Music guest composer, Karim Al-Zand. I shared many of these concerns with him, and was relieved (and somehow, not surprised) to find out that I was not the first aspiring composer to fear writer's block before I had even written anything. When I brought up my ideas with respect to "rules," he agreed, to an extent. He qualified this by saying that it's important to constantly be involved in the writing process, and to listen for directions the music feels like it wants (or needs) to go that I may not have anticipated. So, while I believe that form and internal logic are essential to composing (at least, MY composing...for now), I have to recognize and respect that music can easily pull me in directions as a writer that I can't anticipate, and it's important to investigate when this happens. In other words, the form that I have in mind for a piece of music when I start to write it might not be the form I end up with, and that's an exciting thought.

I'll conclude this with a totally awesome and relevant quote that I recently read:

“Nobody tells this to people who are beginners, I wish someone told me. All of us who do creative work, we get into it because we have good taste. But there is this gap. For the first couple years you make stuff, it’s just not that good. It’s trying to be good, it has potential, but it’s not. But your taste, the thing that got you into the game, is still killer. And your taste is why your work disappoints you. A lot of people never get past this phase, they quit. Most people I know who do interesting, creative work went through years of this. We know our work doesn’t have this special thing that we want it to have. We all go through this. And if you are just starting out or you are still in this phase, you gotta know its normal and the most important thing you can do is do a lot of work. Put yourself on a deadline so that every week you will finish one story. It is only by going through a volume of work that you will close that gap, and your work will be as good as your ambitions. And I took longer to figure out how to do this than anyone I’ve ever met. It’s gonna take awhile. It’s normal to take a while. You’ve just gotta fight your way through.”
― Ira Glass

Aint that the truth! At least, for me, it definitely is. I actually find a great deal of comfort in reading this, and I hope that others may also.

1 comment:

  1. Very thoughtful blog, Joe! I really enjoyed it.

    You touch on a variety of topics, from the importance of seeking and giving constructive criticism, aspects of composing that you find challenging (development, harmonic unity), your interaction with Karim Al-Zand, and the Ira Glass quote.

    My thoughts:
    1. The class workshop format is working pretty well from my point of view as well. Not everyone is equally willing to give criticism, which is normal for any class I have taught, although I am hoping that some of the quieter members will say more in the coming weeks. But the suggestions people give are generally good ones, and that is something I'm really pleased about.

    2. The aspects of composing that you find challenging are aspects that are challenging for most composers, I would guess. There are specific techniques that one can try that can help with any specific compositional challenge — feel free to ask me if you like — but the main thing that gets you through these challenges is perseverance, which I think is Ira Glass's point.

    3. Karim's point about allowing the music to take you in unanticipated directions is important. This is one of the most fundamental approaches I have to composing, but my sense is that not all composers approach this in quite the same way. Some composers spend a lot of time planning, and then, I think, stick to the plan, at least for the most part. I do minimal planning because I feel comfortable "going along for the ride" when I write music. It's good to try both approaches.

    4. I'd be curious to know more about what you mean when you write of "rules" in your conversation with Al-Zand.

    5. Is there a number missing from this sentence: "only pitch classes used throughout the duration of the piece." Like 4?

    6. The Glass quote is great, although I disagree with the "nobody tells this to people who are beginners" bit... I have mentioned this to people many times over the years, but no matter, it's a good point and bears repeating. Any idea as to where that quote comes from? Ideally it would be good to cite the source if possible. I have seen it in various places on the Internet, but I'm not sure if it's from a lecture he gave, an interview, or what.

    Ironically, I touch on some of these issues (writer's block, for one) in the blog I posted a few days ago, and I will be touching on others in the blog I am currently working on.

    Main thing is this: Everyone who tries to create things struggles, and a lot of the struggles are common to everyone, which is one reason I write my blogs and ask students to write theirs.

    Great blog, and keep 'em coming!

    http://clarkross.blogspot.com/2011/07/oh-pain-of-it-all.html

    ReplyDelete